HOW TO BECOME AN ESA ALL-STAR
ESA’s All-Stars are made up of the best up-and-coming surfers along the East Coast. Team members gain valuable training from world-class surf coaches, travel as a team building life-long relationships and become exposed within the surfing industry through the ESA by the organization’s marketing, press releases, webcasts, etc.
To be considered an ESA All-Star, you should have the right ATTITUDE (not only does one need to be a strong competitor to make the team, but must also set a good example with regard to sportsmanship), DEDICATION to the ESA organization & PERFORMANCE (your results from local and regional events, as well as Easterns®).
The criteria for consideration as an All-Star include:
Team Member Criteria:
- Minimum age requirement is 14 as of January 1 for year applying for.
- Must have competed in a minimum of one Easterns® Surfing Championships.
- Maximum attendance and participation in your local ESA events.
- Proven results in your local ESA district, Regional and Easterns® events.
- Must be an active volunteer at all local ESA events to help run the contests.
- Must be willing to provide three personal references for consideration.
- Must be willing to participate in all fundraising campaigns for the All-Star Team as a member.
- A $300 registration fee must be paid with signed agreement.
- District director(s) must approve.
All-Star Developmental Team:
- ESA members who are interested in becoming an ESA All-Star who are under the age of 14 as of January 1.
- Same criteria as AS Team Members (except age requirement)
- The developmental team WILL NOT be traveling to Hawaii, but will be invited to participate in all regional and Easterns All-Star events.
If you are interested in joining ESA’s elite team of competitor, please review the following criteria to see if you qualify. Each candidate must submit the ESA All-Star application via email, along with a mandatory letter to the All-Star Team Committee, by the deadline of November 1st each year. The candidate will email the application as ONE pdf file (multiple and jpg files will not be accepted) to email@example.com, as well as copy respective district director(s).
The final team roster shall be comprised of the nominees who have the highest degree of all three criteria. The incoming team for the following calendar year will be contacted by December and announced to the public at the January Surf Expo each year.
Former ESA Team members include Kelly Slater, Shea Lopez, Cory Lopez, Ben Bourgeois, Chris Baiata, Jeremy Saukel, Sam Hammer, Brian Stoehr, Tyler Calloway (FCS), ESA Icon Eric Taylor (record 7 years!), Jamie DeWitt, Zander Morton, David Awbrey, Cassidy McClain, Simon Hetrick, Josh Richardson and Todd Kinsey. Once an All-Star, always an All-Star! The team is our pride and are the ambassadors of the world’s largest and most effective surfing organization.
For more about the ESA All-Star team, contact the All-Star Team Committee directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.